Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:37:08 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
Cc:        "Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot FreeBSD 3.x from NT boot loader

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 04:05:12PM -0400, Rick Siple wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have both FreeBSD and Windows NT installed on my laptop.  While I
> was running 2.2 I had configured the NT boot loader to start FreeBSD using
> the instructions on http://www.devious.com/freebsd.  After a make
> aout-to-elf this configuration stopped working, more than likely due to the
> changes to FreeBSD's boot loader.  Using a DOS boot disk and the FreeBSD 3.1
> install CD I was able to restore BootEasy.
>
> This leaves me with two questions:
>
> 1)  How to restore the BootEasy MBR through sysinstall when booting directly
> from the FreeBSD 3.1 install CDROM.
> 	I found the appropriate menu under Configure->FDisk, but I can not
> get sysinstall to commit the MBR.  Info in the mailing list archives
> recommended using the bootinst.exe program from the CDROM, but NT will not
> allow bootinst to write to the disk.  To do this I had to find DOS boot
> floppy.  This is certainly possible but not optimal because it required
> digging up a third operating system (Win95 or DOS).
>
> 2)  Updated instructions for using the NT boot loader.
> 	The aforementioned instructions basically said to used the
> boot.nohdr file generated by compiling the boot manager itself.  Put this
> file on the NTFS partition where the NT loader can find it and add an entry
> for the file to the NT boot.ini.  This is the same mechanism used to dual
> boot NT/95 except instead of using boot.nohdr NT copies the standard MBR to
> a file for use by the NT boot loader.  So, which if any of the files under
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386 is the 3.x equivalent of the 2.2.x boot.nohdr.
> 	I bounced question #2 off of the person who originally wrote the
> instructions for 2.2.x, but he has not recently kept up with FreeBSD so was
> not immediately able to answer the question.  Perhaps this would be a better
> question for the -stable mailing list.
>
> Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure what you're after here, but if you simply want
to get FreeBSD booting off the NT boot menu again then just repeat
what you did with 2.2 (assuming drive C: is mounted on /mnt).

``dd if=/dev/<raw_fbsd_slice> of=/mnt/BOOTSECT.BSD bs=512 count=1''

You may have to boot FreeBSD from a floppy or the CD and select
the Fixit option.

I found I had to recreate C:\BOOTSECT.BSD after u/g 2.2.8->3.1.

HTH