Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:10:44 -0400
From:      Mike Pelletier <mike@compar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'Installation menu' always comes up when booting production server

I have several FreeBSD servers happily performing their duties on my
network.  One of them has a weird problem, though.  Every time it boots,
it goes into the menu which asks if I wish to use default kernel
settings, use the visual mode configuration editor, or use the CLI
editor.  I'm not refering to the prompt one gets when booting with the
'-c' option, I mean the full screen, first ever boot menu.  I cannot
seem to get rid of this.  Recompiling the kernel, or indeed making a new
one from scratch doesn't make a difference.  This is a problem because
the power does have a tendancy to go out here, and the server will sit
at that prompt until a human comes along and hits 'q'.  Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.