Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:53:20 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        "Volker Sturm" <v.sturm@gmx.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Slow response time

Volker Sturm writes:
 > Hi,
 > I am following 4.3-stable since I did a CD-ROM install of 4.3-release. A
 > few weeks ago I did build the world which succeeded in my opinion.
 > Additionally I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0_4 and KDE 2.1.1. The problem is
 > that now sometimes the x-server takes ages to come up after 'startx' and
 > sometimes applications within X, like Xemacs or even a simple terminal,
 > take a lot of time to come up, too. These delays last a minute or two
 > and then it works ok for a certain amount of time before they come back.
 > I can't imagine that this is a swapping problem, as I rarely notice swap
 > usage. I dunno if it's a scheduling thing.
 > My hardware and configuration is as follows:
 > - AMD K6-2, 400 Mhz
 > - 128 MB RAM
 > - 512 MB swap
 > - Matrox Millenium II, 4 MB RAM
 > I didn't come across these delays when I had installed -RELEASE as far
 > as I can remember. Any ideas what causes this behavior? Solutions?

	I've noticed similar behaviour - after upgrading XFree86 to
4.x, startx takes a *lot* longer to start (though not anything like a
minute).

	I seem to remember (from a few years back) that XEmacs could
take long to start up if the resolver set up was not correct (i.e, it
would try to contact a nameserver, which would either cause your modem
(or whatever) to connect, or time out after 20 seconds or a multiple
thereof.)

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker