Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:12:14 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        kavitha <kavitha@watson.ibm.com>
Cc:        tomy@gunpowder.Stanford.EDU, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WIDE DHCP

At 04:27 PM 1/21/97 -0500, kavitha wrote:
>Hello,
>    2. When I compile with the above modifications, while running it
>    gets stuck at open("/dev/bpf*",O_RDWR) in "initialize" in dhcpc_subr.c
>    with the message
>    "Can't open bpf to read the dhcp messages /dev/bpf9: No
>     such file or directory".
>
>    Isn't it supposed to create the file if there is none?
>    Or am I supposed to keep some bpf files in /dev?

(This part will go away when devfs is really operational - hopefully only a
couple of months into the future)
Run the following lines as root:

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEF bpf[n]

where n is the maximum device number you want.

(This part will go away the day when we get bpf as a kernel module;
especially if it is demand-loaded :)

You will also need to compile a kernel with bpf enabled; copying this
---- Cut here ----
#  The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.  Be
#  aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this
#  option.  The number of devices determines the maximum number of
#  simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.

pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter
---- Cut here ----
into your kernel config and re-creating your kernel should do the trick.

(No, I haven't run mobile IP - I kan just comment on your problems with bpf.)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/