Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 21:49:48 +0000
From:      "Glenn Gombert" <freebsd@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Nicolas Souchu" <nsouch@free.fr>, "Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -current as guest of VMWare2

 There is a patch to fix this problem that I posted to the list
 sometime ago. I don't have it handy right now, but you can find it in
 the mailing list archive...

Glenn G.

On Thu, 30 May 2002 23:46:50 +0200, "Nicolas Souchu" <nsouch@free.fr>
said:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently trying to install -current as a guest OS of VMWare2
> running under 4.6RC.
>
> The problem is that it works correctly except that after some
> processing, the VMWare2 engine slows down the OS incredibly. To
> get things back to a correct speed I have to suspend the VMWare
> session then restore it.
>
> I also have a VMWare2 guest 4.6RC (running on the same 4.6RC host)
> which works like a charm.
>
> I've compiled with the following machine file:
>
> Any idea?
>
> Nicholas
>

> # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.343 2002/05/22 19:00:48
> obrien Exp $
>
> machine         i386
> cpu             I486_CPU
> cpu             I586_CPU
> ident           RATZ
> maxusers        0
>
> #To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
> hints           "RATZ.hints"            #Default places to look for
> devices.
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
> symbols
>
> options         INET                    #InterNETworking
> options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
> options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates
> support
> options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big
> directories
> options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
> options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
> options         NFSSERVER               #Network Filesystem Server
> options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device,
> requires NFSCLIENT
> options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
> options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires
> PSEUDOFS)
> options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
> options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
> THIS!]
> options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing
> SCSI
> options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
> options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
> options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
> options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
> options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time
> extensions
> options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
> options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
>
> # Debugging for use in -current
> [...]

  Glenn Gombert
  freebsd@fastmail.fm

"Never trust any operating system you don't have the source code for"

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service