Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 20:59:01 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        imp@village.org, rsnow@legend.txdirect.net, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and swap

Paul Richards stands accused of saying:
> I seem to remember that our malloc was pretty stupid about freeing up memory
> but do you mean the X server never gives back the memory it grabs? If so,
> what's the reasoning?

Good question.  I'd hazard a guess that it's probably historical.  Think
about it a bit though, it's not as simple as it may seem.  Consider
the speed issue too.
(Instant Expert Warning! 8)

> When you're running lots of X clients, like netsape and xv then you're
> going to use a LOT of memory in one go and if the X server never gives it
> back you're in trouble.

No; the process can reuse the space, it's just that under our current
malloc, the memory is never returned to the system.

> Well, netscape seems to be the cause but I'm not sure it's the problem since
> I'd expect the memory to be freed when I kill it.

The memory that netscape uses will be freed, but the memory used by the
X server to manage netscapes requests isn't freed until the X
server is killed.

>   Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.

If you want something that will _really_ bloat your server, try 'display'
from the ImageMagic package 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[