Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:07:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Buslogic cards--am I just unlucky?

I've been using FreeBSD since 3.2-stable.  Most of that time, I've been
using a combination of an AHA-1542 and a DTC serial/IDE for disk
controllers with no real problems.  While using the aforementioned setup,
I occasionally got the bright idea to use my Buslogic BT-510 caching IDE
controller, usually with no success.  Warp to this summer.  I got a neato
pentium board with PCI! and a fluky onboard IDE.  So I try my old trusty
(in other OS'es) BT-510 with my usual level of success.  But this time,
the annoying thing is that it finds the jumpered-off PIIX controller on
the mobo rather than the BT-510?!  I traded off my AHA-1542 for a Buslogic
flashpoint LT, figuring it's just a matter of adding device bt,
right?  Not even close.  It gets spotted as

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor 0x104b, dev=0x8130) at 20.0 irq9

and bt0 never shows up in dmesg at all.  I've recompiled the kernel
twice: once with the

device	bt

line and once with the line

device	bt0 at isa? port? irq ?

with little difference on the outcome

The questions are:

1) is there ANY chance that my BT-510 is usable in FreeBSD?

2) how do I get my flashpoint to work?

--
 Customer:  "I'm running Windows '98"      Tech: "Yes."      Customer:
   "My computer isn't working now."     Tech: "Yes, you said that."