Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:25:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkb@best.com (Jan Koum)
Cc:        Ruslan@shevchenko.kiev.ua, grog@lemis.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD GUI, revisited (was Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas)

>    >     2. We have not GUI admin interface for FreeBSD,
>    >        so newbaies will preffer other systems.
>
> 	This is a win in our side. I find it a plus not needing a gui and
> beeng on the console for the important tasks. As for newbies? Thats why
> there is NT, so they won't bother us. Just kidding. I think you should
> learn the OS from the bottom up. First you learn shell, kernel, file
> system, io, vm, etc and then only you go to X/GUI. I know some "NT Admins"
> who don't even suspect that NT can be used in the DOS mode (or shell, or
> emulator, or whatever you call that scary little rectangular DOS looking
> like prompt).

The whole point is that you will never get the users who believe you
should *not* have to use the OS, only the *applications* that run
*on* the OS.

Your requirements list makes it look like you must be a computer scientist
to run a decent OS.  Your bar is too high for users.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.