Date:      Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:28:36 +0200
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@freebsd.org>
To:        Martin Wilke <miwi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Ports Infrastructure Changes

On Fr, 25.03.2011 at 07:11:42 +0800, Martin Wilke wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Ulrich Spörlein <uqs@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 19.03.2011 at 09:49:39 +0800, Martin Wilke wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > as the Ports Collection continue to grow, we have decided to
> > > do some changes to the category layout. The www category, second
> > > largest with over 2000 individual ports, will have three subcategories
> > > spinned out. On the other side, x11-servers category, with only
> > > 10 ports, will be folded into regular x11 category.
> >
> > Why? I can understand you'd like to move the handful of x11-servers into
> > x11, but what do you gain by splitting www?
> >
> > The time and repo-churn could probably be spent on something more
> > constructive than moving ports around.
>
> so can u guys please come back to the review of the ports for the categorie
> move?

It would still be nice to know, what you think this move will improve.
Because it will fuck over people who have for example the following in
their make.conf

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/apache2*}
WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS=true
WITH_LDAP=true
WITH_AUTHNZ_LDAP=true
.endif

Let alone people who have used the OPTIONS framework and saved their
settings to /var/db/ports/.

So, again, what is gained by that move and how does it offset those
people's inconvenience?

Regards,
Uli