Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 11:23:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
To:        Eric Primeau <lmcerpr@LMC.ericsson.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, lmcerpr@LMC.ericsson.se
Subject:   Re: ioctl DIOCWLABEL ?!? (Re: Missing operating system)

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Eric Primeau wrote:

> Here's my current situation: I got rid of the "Missing OS" message
> somehow and installed Booteasy manually. It now allows me to select
> between both disks; however when I try booting of "freebsd", it
> returns to the F? prompt. (Better than before, but no cigar.)

Sounds like a disk geometry problem.  Usually, if DOS is already on your
disk somewhere, you won't have this problem -but it seems that you are.
You should get 'pfdisk' from the FreeBSD/tools/dos-tools (or something
like that) directory on ftp.freebsd.org.  Run it from dos, and note the
disk geometry.  Then, when installing FreeBSD, manually set your geometry
to match the geometry reported by 'pfdisk'.  Good luck.

--Steve (http://pr.erau.edu/~swaits)