Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:29:51 -0700
From:      "Chris Csanady" <cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound volume with pcm/bktr/etc..

>> useful, I have to set the other very low.  I've found that
>> disabling the mixer conversion in snd/ad1848.c makes things
>> liveable.  The comment in the file mentions not understanding
>> why its there..  Perhaps we could rip it out?
>
>probably, yes. This is a leftover from the old voxware and while i
>never understood what it is for, i never found the time to investigate
>more.

It seems that all it does is limit your choice of volume levels, since
there is no longer a one to one mapping.  This does not seem to make
much sense to do.  For my card, it is more linear without it anyways.

>this said, i also have the problem of loud audio from the bt848 to the
>line input of my card.

Does this look completely hopeless then?  If there is anything I can
do to help, let me know..

Chris