Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:42:04 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Bill Crisp <bcrisp@crispernetworks.com>
Subject:   Re: CVE-2012-0217 Intel's sysret Kernel Privilege Escalation and FreeBSD 6.2/6.3

In message <201207130831.59211.jhb@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin writes:

>Every FreeBSD/amd64 kernel in existent is vulnerable.  In truth, my personal
>opinion is that Intel screwed up their implementation of that instruction
>whereas AMD got it right, and we are merely working around Intel's CPU bug. :(

Given that the instruction set of AMD64 is defined by AMD originally,
while Intel was trying very hard to ram Itanic down everybodys
throat, that diagnosis is a given:  Intel copied AMD, and difference
in functionality is a screwup on Intels part, even if they documented
their screwup in their manual.

TL;DR: Which part of "compatible" doesn't Intel get ?