Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:24:08 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP Problems

Running FreeBSD 2.2.7 Release, no upgrades on this machine (all
software from CD).  I've followed the PPP primer on FreeBSD's site.
Trying to setup a gateway machine at home with ppp -auto -alias.

If I run PPP interactively with my old settings, all works fine
(settings are made for dynamic IP's).  If I setup ppp.conf with
the "bogus" info needed for -auto, as mentionned in the primer
(makes sense since the program won't start without) and I try the
script in interactive mode, it gives a few error messages (trying
to get the server running so I can use pppctl, which still hasn't
worked for me) it simply doesn't work at all.  It sets the default
route to the bogus address and doesn't change it to the actual
address (ppp.linkup as per the primer, and is the same as for
interactive mode).

So now I've determined that the auto-mode settings don't work with
the interactive mode.  I've tried the auto mode using the above
command (ppp -alias -auto autoMyISP) but when I try to connect to
the net, nothing happens.  I've tried ping, nslookup, ftp, Netscape,
and nothing has triggered PPP to dial out.  I've followed the primer
to what I considered to be word for word, and for me it's not working
right.  What have I done wrong?  I'm sure this has something to do
with routing options.  My firewall is set to open until I can debug
this, and I've only tried connecting from the FreeBSD machine (rest
of the LAN is Win98).  I'll tackle the LAN once I get it to work on
itsself...

Thanks,

Manu