Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:15:07 -0500
From:      Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   perl shared libaries woes caused by 3.x upgrade

Hello! We recently upgraded our server here from 2.2.8 to 3.3 and
successfully used the compat22 module to run old binaries.

We ended up running the old perl binary to avoid re-installing all our
perl modules to avoid problems with the shared libraries and dynamically
loaded  modules. Now I want to upgrade the DBD::Pg module and I'm
running to a problem with this. I assume part of the installation
process thinks I'm using an elf system, and the other part thinks I'm
using the a.out system.
  My question then is, can I get this one module to link correctly,
without reinstalling every module? and what tricks to I need to this?
	I'm guessing that perhaps I can explicting call the new perl binary to
create the Makefiles and that will work
(eg: /usr/bin/perl5 Makefile.PL rather than perl Makefile.PL)

Here's the sort of error I get when running "make test" with DBD::Pg .93
using the old perl binary:
---------
install_driver(Pg) failed: Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so' for
module DBD::Pg: bad magic numb
er in "blib/arch/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so" at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/i386-freebsd/DynaLoader.pm line 168.