Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:12:42 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New print interface

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:52:04AM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
>
>> >I *never* expected to see the PNP functions actually pick up the name of
>> >my printer.  I was economically bushwacked by the Windows corps into
>> >buying the 693C (the version with the Windows software floppies tacked
>> >on) so I was actually pleased that it ID'd the printer as the more
>> >generic 690C (sans the Windows extortia).
>> >
>> >Very nice.  The mistake I'd made earlier was in not knowing that the
>> >config needed all 3 lines, not just some subset of 2 of them as I'd
>> >guessed.
>> >
>> >Great job, Nicolas!
>>
>> BTW, try 'cat /dev/lpt0' ;)
>
>OK, I just cvsupped, I will quickly.  There's a reference to setting a
>drq for lpt, which isn't something I'd had to do before ... I guess
>there's dma capability since I last looked at it, but how do I tell what
>dma channel has been chosen for it?  Will my bios set it for me, or is
>it going to be probed somehow?  How do I set it?  I saw an example with
>it set to 3, is that a default value (shall I experiment?)

Your BIOS tells you the DMA channel your parallel port is configured to
run with.

Something like,

device ppc0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 3

should be ok if DMA channel is 3 in your BIOS ECP setting. It might be
channel 1 though, then set drq to '1'.

nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org