Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:48:01 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AARGH!! "dead" Alpha 164SX (Was: Re: OK, any pointers on how to use SRM? :-))

Mike Smith wrote:

> > The next good question is.. what's up with softupdates? :-]  Hmm.. say,
>
> No idea.  We were unhappy with it at Usenix too.  Perhaps I should send
> Kirk an Aplha?

Heh. :-)

Todays excitement, on a kernel built after Kirk's changes:

panic: lockmgr: locking against myself
panic
Stopped at      Debugger+0x2c:  ldq     ra,0(sp) <0xfffffe0005adda60>   <ra=0xfffffc000046bfe0,sp=0xfffffe0005adda60>
db> trace
Debugger() at Debugger+0x2c
panic() at panic+0xf4
lockmgr() at lockmgr+0x340
cluster_wbuild() at cluster_wbuild+0x37c
cluster_write() at cluster_write+0x1f0
ffs_write() at ffs_write+0x474
vn_write() at vn_write+0x130
dofilewrite() at dofilewrite+0xc0
write() at write+0x54
syscall() at syscall+0x224
XentSys() at XentSys+0x50
(null)() at 0x1600c096c
db>

This has been happening pretty reliably after attempting to change a root
password.

> > that NCR controller you gave me, is that the one that was screwing up on
> > freefall by any chance?
>
> Not as such, no.

I take it that means:  "Same type, not the same physical card", yes?

Cheers,
-Peter