Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFCing SMP cleanups from -current into 4.x on wednesday

:I would like to see this happen and I agree with keeping 4.0 and
:5.0 as close as possible.  Please don't forget that the SMP deltas
:had some serious problems, they broke UP kernels (afaik) and you'll
:need to MFC my makesyscalls.sh hack (the delta directly edited
:generated files).  Because of that they need a couple of days of being
:available so people can test (I will) before being applied to
:RELENG_4.
:
:I think the change in write behind algorithms should be pushed into
:RELENG_4 asap, they are stable and if we get negative feedback from
:the larger userbase they can be re-examined now instead of us
:scratching our heads a year down the road when we have RELENG_5 and
:performance problems crop up.
:
:-Alfred

    Ach, I did forget about the makesyscalls.sh hack.  Your right, I'll
    put together a big MFC patchset for the SMP stuff and make it available
    tonight or tomorrow for people to test with first, just to make sure
    we haven't forgotten anything.  That means we will probably have to
    push the commit off until at least friday.

    Was it just you and me that committed the SMP stuff or were there
    others?  I'll physically compare the files between 4.x and 5.x just
    to be sure, but I think it was just you and me doing the commits.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>