Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:01:53 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switchover to CAM ATA?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Paul Wootton
<paul@fletchermoorland.co.uk>wrote:

> Alexander Motin wrote:
>

>> Can we do switchover now, or some more reasons preventing this?
>>
>> The only thing I miss about the old ATA layer was that I knew that a drive
> on a particular controller would always be assigned the same adX number,
> whether is was present at boot time, or added days later. This could get a
> little messy having ad2, ad4, ad12, ad20 and ad22, but at least if I added a
> new drive, it would always attach to say ad8.
>
> Can this be done on the new CAM ATA?

I have not tried it with ATA_CAM, but in theory, you should be able to wire
things down the same as with SCSI devices.  Just takes a bit of mucking
around with camcontrol output, and sticking the right info into
/boot/loader.conf.

See the man page for camcontrol for all the details.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com