Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:02:45 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=), rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gripe of the week (tm) :-)

> > Try this; put the line
> >
> > PREFIX=	/usr/local
> >
> > into the /usr/ports/x11/xearth/Makefile, type make install and watch xearth
> > get installed into /usr/X11R6!!
>
> You're not loooooking!
>
> Seriously, guy, this is painfully obvious with a 10 second look at
> bsd.port.mk.  Look at it again.  You'll plainly see where X11BASE
> overrides the PREFIX.

I saw this round about the first time I brought up the subject:
(Yes, it is obvious, I found it quick-quick)

-----------(extracts from /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk)----------
X11BASE?=		/usr/X11R6

.if defined(USE_IMAKE)
PREFIX?=		${X11BASE}
.else
PREFIX?=		/usr/local
.endif
-----------(extracts from /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk)----------

The point I am tring to make is THAT IT DOES NOT WORK! Like I said above,
TRY IT!

PLEASE look at my "PREFIX= ..." statement above...

I have commented out everything in sight to do with both X11BASE and PREFIX,
I have hard-coded, grepped and find(1)-ed what I could. So far nothing
works.

This is mainly due to a complete lack of experience in imake/xmkmf and
Imakefiles (which give me brainache). The closest I have gotten to anything
working is a macro (?) called ProjectBase in imake.rules or site.def (or
somewhere that tries to move everything to wherevery you specify, and
consequently breaks the make.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200