Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:04:39 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, article@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: running single freq monitors (fwd)

I've got a similar problem, not with a particular monitor, but with
an application where the VGA console is connected to a cheapo VGA-to-NTSC
base-band video converter.  These things usually come with a windows driver
which from what I can tell, simply causes the horizontal and vertical
refresh rates to be configured correctly.

I my application, I don't have to worry about what things look like before
X gets up and running; nothing will be damaged by the non-standard sync
frequencies - you can't can't see anything that's readable on the video
display.

In my /etc/XF86Config file, I've got sections like this:

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "PC/TV-1108"
    VendorName  "AITech"
    ModelName   "PC/TV-1108"
    HorizSync   31.5
    VertRefresh 60-60
    # 640x480 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
    Modeline "640x480"     25.175 640  674  760  800   480  491  493  525
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "motion771"
    VendorName  "Number Nine"
    BoardName   "FX Motion 771"
    VideoRam    4096
    s3RefClk    16
    Ramdac      "ibm_rgb524"
    DACspeed    220
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "motion771"
    Monitor     "PC/TV-1108"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    BlankTime   0
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth   24
        Modes       "640x480"
        Invert_VCLK     "*" 0
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

In my configuration, I'm using an "old" Number 9 Motion 771 board, with
4MB of memory.  This easily give me a 24 bit deep display, which is
way overkill once you run it into the NTSC converter and then an RF
modulator.  In my application, I didn't have a bizzaro hardware interface
on the display, so just about any old VGA board would probably work OK.

If you're wondering, this is part of my home automation system; there's a
TK application (actually, [incr tcl] and [incr widgets]) which displays
interesting stuff like caller-id information, temperatures, stock quotes
on channel 16 of the in-home RF distribution system.

louie