Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:33:47 PDT
From:      "Jonathan Bult" <jbult@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd and ident

I was having trouble getting onto IRC because my natd gateway wasn't
handling ident requests properly.  So, I searched and searched for an
answer, and finally I found one (largely due to research on my own).  Here's
the settings that I put in a file called /etc/rc.natd.  I run natd with
"natd -f /etc/rc.natd".

---- Start rc.natd ----
same_ports yes
verbose yes
unregistered_only yes
interface ed1
redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.2:auth auth
---- End  rc.natd ----

It's the last line that works all the magic.  When the server forwards an
ident request to my natd gateway, it's going to forward it to the machine
that I have running mirc on (192.168.0.2).  As you know, mirc has a small
built-in ident daemon.  It recieves the request and sends a

So, there you have it.  Mystery solved.

Jon Bult