Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2014 06:47:37 +0200
From:      Tamas Szakaly <sghctoma@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/Resume on 10-RELEASE-p7

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 04:50:54PM +0000, Charlie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running 10.0-RELEASE on my Lenovo X201 laptop. One of the major
> usability features of any operating system on a laptop is the ability to
> suspend/resume to/from sleep. I feel FreeBSD lags behind significantly in
> this area, but I really wanted it to work, so I specifically bought this
> X201 based on reports of people having success.
>
> I had success, too, for a short time. After compiling a custom kernel to
> exclude VESA support from the kernel, suspend/resume worked perfectly on
> 10.0-RELEASE-p6.
>
> Now that I've upgraded to 10.0-RELEASE-p7, it no longer works well. It still
> goes to sleep, and it still wakes up; however, after it is awoken, the GUI
> is incredibly sluggish to the point that it is nearly unusable. For example,
> if one drags a window across the screen to relocate it, the window's
> movement lags behind the mouse position by many seconds.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to remedy this situation so it
> works as it did at patch level 6? What changed that would cause this
> behavior?
>
> I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Charlie
>
>  cwr@sdf.org SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Hi,

Does your Xorg log contains "Failed to submit batch buffer, expect rendering
corruption: Device busy" messages after a suspend/resume cycle? I was also
experiencing this sluggishness a while back on 10.0-STABLE, and found this
little patch for xf86-video-intel:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2013-October/013727.html
It's ugly, but it works for me.

Cheers,