Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:01:09 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal for CD reorganisation for 4.0

Hi,

I was thinking (I know, I know, I shouldn't do that, it's bad for me
;)...

Since we now have 3000+ ports, what are the chances of getting a special
"FreeBSD Ports Distfiles" CD-ROM subscription set, which would just
contain the distfiles?  Since this set would be fairly low maintainance
(just dump a copy of the FTP site onto CD :) it could be released at a
low cost and with a fairly frequent update interval.  I'm sure plenty of
people would go for something which worked out to around $5 per month,
including a lot of Linux people, since the CD would not have anything
specific to FreeBSD on it.  NetBSD and OpenBSD people should also be
interested.

This would also make the 4.0 set easier to get onto 4 disks, and it
would do out of date slower (since the packages are prebuilt for that
snapshot of -CURRENT).

Another advantage is that we might be able to get rid of some NO_CDROMs,
since the distfiles CD set would be around the cost of the media.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |    If I was not so weak, if I was not so cold,
--+--  If I was not so scared of being broken, growing old,