Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:19:05 -0500
From:      "Kevin T. Likes" <klikes@isd.state.in.us>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   version updates with no changes

I've been noticing this lately, but I don't know how long this has been going
on.

I've been trying to figure out how to get /etc/periodic/daily/100.clean-disks
work.  I was getting ready to send in a problem report, but before I did I
cvsupped
to see if there was a newer version of the file which may have fixed my
problem.
Sure enough, the cvsup had a newer version of the file (minor revision changed
from
1.3.2.1 to 1.3.2.2).  I looked at the file, and didn't see any obvious
changes, so
I tried diff.  The only difference in the file was the version number line.  No
whitespace, no variable names, nothing else, just the version number and date.

The last couple of updates I have done, when using mergemaster to fix my /etc
directory, I have noted a number of similar cases each time.  Is there some
reason
for these version numbers to change even if the files haven't?  That seems to
only
create extra work for admins doing updates.  (Not to mention annoying them when
they are running mergemaster. :-) )

--Kevin T. Likes

p.s. If it makes a difference, I'm tracking RELENG_4.