Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Which Motif for FreeBSD?

Hello all,

    I am a long-time NetBSD user (since 0.8) who has finally decided to
come in from the cold and switch to FreeBSD.  I still believe that NetBSD
is a great OS and will continue to use it on my non-x86 boxes.  The fact
remains though, that the NetBSD community seems to be shrinking and
support from commercial vendors is drying up.  FreeBSD on the other hand
has an excellent support and release organization that has translated into
a much larger user base and commercial support.

    Which brings me to the point of this message (sorry for the long
winded justification above but making the switch after such a long time
feels a bit like cheating :-) ).  The primary reason for the switch is
that I'm in need of a Motif runtime + development package and there are
exactly zero available for NetBSD.  The flip side to this is that there
seem to be several available for FreeBSD.

    I used SWiM 1.2.4 when it was available for NetBSD and was a
completely satisfied customer.  My inclination would be to get the SWiM 2.0
distribution for FreeBSD but I noticed that Xinside also has a similar
product.  Does anyone have experience with one or the other (or both) of
these products?  How do they compare?  Is one clearly better than the
other?  Are there any restrictions on the use of the Xinside package?
i.e, do I need accelerated-X?  I'm not sure but it appears that there may
also be a product from Metrolink (?).  Is this true?  If so, how does it
compare to the other two?

    Any and all comments, opinions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Garth.

P.S.  Another reason for the switch is that for as long as I can remember
      (386bsd days) Jordan has always been a voice of reason in the BSD
      community and has done a great deal to provide FreeBSD with a very
      professional and positive image.  Keep up the great work.