Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:37:09 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Esa Karkkainen <ejk@iki.fi>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: 5.1-R-p11 unable to "sync disks" when shutting down

Esa> No, I don't use snapshots any more. I did use snapshots via
Esa> bgfsck, but now I have disabled bgfsck, because for some reason I
Esa> got panics which seemed to be related to bgfsck.

I think it would be _very_ helpful if bgfsck could be made to only run
once.  Currently, you can have the following:

crash -> boot -> defer for bgfsck -> multiuser -> bgfsck -> crash

(loop until manual intervention)

... this happens when bgfsck can't fix something.  I'd like to see:

crash -> boot -> defer for bgfsck (but mark disk as having tried)
      -> multiuser -> bgfsck -> crash -> boot -> fsck in foreground
      -> multiuser

... but I believe this would require fsck support unless the startup
scripts were writing to the filesystem to indicate no bgfsck.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |