Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:14:21 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dick thompson <rhomp2002@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question of FreeBSD 7.0 support of my ethernet adapter

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:01:21PM -0400, dick thompson wrote:
> My computer came with the Attansic L1 Gigabyte ethernet adapter.  With
> Linux I need distros using a kernel  later than 2.6.22.1.  Does FreeBSD
> 7.0 support this ethernet adapter or has a work around come out that
> will work with it?  I know that the older BSD releases did not support
> it but don't know if the new one does or not.  This adapter is the same
> as the Atheros L1 Gigabyte ethernet adapter and appears to be widely
> used on the lower level Intel Core 2 Duo computers (mine is the E4400
> chipset).  I would like to use the FreeBSD but I am retired and do not
> want to have to do a lot of changing of what came with this computer for
> economic reasons.

There is a new driver for FreeBSD, specifically for that adapter, called
age(4).  It was added to FreeBSD 3-4 months ago.

It should be available via FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE (not RELEASE), so you
should download a 7.0-STABLE snapshot image and install that:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200807/