Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 11:03:59 -0400
From:      Murad <murad@magi.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking Problems

>> On both networks everything seems to boot okay but on the 172 I always get
>> 'host is down' when I try to ping from my box.  I also can't ping my box
>> from others on the 172.
>
>bad routing, definitely.
>

>> defaultrouter="172.18.0.36"     # Set to default gateway (or NO).
>

>> gateway_enable="YES"            # Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.
>
>This doesn't need to be set.
>
>> pccard_ether="ed0 ep0 fe0 sn0"  # Pccard ethernet interfaces (or NO).
>> ifconfig_common="inet 172.18.0.202 netmask 255.255.0.0"
>
>This is correct?  You're rebooting when you flip rc.conf?

Yes, I'm rebooting (also tried powering down).
My guess would be the problem is somewhere here:  I don't think there is a
real gateway for this network.  I think I should be able to access the
others directly from mine.  How should this affect my setup?

Depending on what I try, I also sometimes get /kernal: arpresolve: can't
allocate llinfo for 172.18.0.2.  What does this mean?  I tried playing with
-iface and -llinfo options in route but didn't seem to help/I didn't use
them the right way.

The route man pages say:
If the destination  is directly reachable via an interface requiring no
intermediary system to act as a gateway,  the "-interface" modifier should
be specified; the gateway given is the address of this host on the common
network, indicating the interface to be used for transmission.

Is this the correct syntax:  route add -net 172.18.0.0 -interface
172.18.0.202  ?

Assuming the interface comes up properly, should that mean I should be able
to ping my box from another (even if there is a problem with my routing)?