Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:08:18 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD E-350

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wro=
te:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> =C2=A0> Oliver Fromme wrote:
> =C2=A0> > Just a quick question ... =C2=A0I plan to buy a small fanless
> =C2=A0> > box based on the AMD E-350 processor. =C2=A0The box is intended
> =C2=A0> > to be used for web surfing in the living room, and possibly
> =C2=A0> > also as a media player. =C2=A0Is the built-in Radeon graphics o=
> =C2=A0> > the AMD E-350 supported by FreeBSD + Xorg? =C2=A0Or will I have
> =C2=A0> > to install "that other OS"?
> =C2=A0>
> =C2=A0> I can't say definitively if modesetting will work with the radeon=
 driver
> =C2=A0> on FreeBSD, but I can say definitively that it doesn't provide an=
y 2D or
> =C2=A0> 3D acceleration.
>
> Good to know. =C2=A0That means it's basically useless.
>
> =C2=A0> On a somewhat related note... =C2=A0I heard that the work the Fre=
eBSD
> =C2=A0> Foundation and iXsystems is paying for in regards to KMS
> =C2=A0> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2011-Februar=
y/001361.html)
> =C2=A0> is limited to Intel GPUs. =C2=A0Can someone please confirm or den=
y that
> =C2=A0> depressing bit of information?
>
> Uhm ... =C2=A0No idea, but if that's true, it might make sense
> for me to wait a bit and buy a board based on the new intel
> "Sandy Bridge" Core i3-2100T or similar with built-in
> graphics. =C2=A0Provided that one's supported then.
>
> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much choice when
> building a low-noise and low-power surf box for the living
> room based on FreeBSD. =C2=A0Atom boards run (mostly), but they
> don't have HDMI output with full HD support. =C2=A0AMD E-350 is
> not supported by FreeBSD, as you wrote above ... =C2=A0Not much
> left ...
>
> Best regards
> =C2=A0 Oliver

Any atom board with nvidia ion graphics will be able to use hw
acceleration (vdpau) to decode full hd x264 and output over HDMI, eg
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=3D12677

I use a much weaker nvidia graphics card and can decode 1080p HD
broadcasts with full acceleration.

You can also get ion boards with a S775 socket, if you want a little
more CPU oomph.

Cheers

Tom