Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:43:19 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Burning DVD-R's

At 03:31 PM 12/29/2003, Charles Swiger wrote:

>>From what I can tell, though, this software is really meant to work
>>with DVD+R, which records a little more than half as fast as DVD-R.
>>I need the speed, and so need to make sure it really works with DVD-R.
>
>Meaning what?  You want to make sure the software really works with DVD-R, but you are not willing to test the software yourself?

I didn't say that. However, if there's an alternative that's a sure
winner, I'd likely want to go with that instead rather than wasting
time on something that might not work.

>>I'm worried that this ziggurat of utilities will not be anywhere near
>>as reliable as a simple utility that goes directly to the ATAPI drive.
>
>Your concern could be resolved by verifying the data after you burn it to DVD, which, come to think of it, is a really fine idea when using any type of backup or archival mechanism.

These discs won't just be for archival purposes.

>>The code is also GPLed. I'm looking, if at all possible, for an all-BSD
>>solution.
>
>Is the license actually a genuine concern, or are you inventing excuses?

The license is a very great concern, for reasons I've mentioned
elsewhere. We like to be able to look at and tweak the software we
use, and we can't look at GPLed code for legal reasons. Also, no BSD-based
operating system should be dependent upon GPLed code. I'm glad to see that
Jeroen and others are working on alternative toolchain components.

--Brett Glass