Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:15:42 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

Luigi Rizzo:
 |> awe0 at 0x620 on isa
 |> AWE32 not found
 |> AWE32: not detected
 |
 |maybe you can make the probe a little more verbose so as to understand
 |what is going wrong. Or, ask Randall (i think) who originally imported
 |the AWE sources and certainly knows how to configure it.

Well, I've carefully steared all my ISA board purchases away from PnP, so I
haven't had to deal with it.  My knowledge of PnP is limited to the fact
that it exists.

Oh, and (ok, I know another sentence-worth about PnP :-) also I know that
Takashi, the guy that wrote AWE driver, does have PnP support in it for
Linux.

     http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/midi.html

in particular the FAQ entry on AWE PnP detection looks interesting:

     http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/awedrv-faq.html#Q2.3

I don't know if this could be easily incorporated into Luigi's PnP code or
not.

Luigi, could you give this FAQ entry a look a see what you think?

It looks like they give some sort of PnP port read/write script to do the
PnP detection right there in the FAQ.  I don't know if its all that's
needed or not though.

Randall