Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:54:18 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>You've gone and removed -DVINUMDEBUG somewhere, haven't you?  There
>was a warning in vinum(4), but it's possibly confusing.  I've changed
>it to:

    Yup, I removed it.  I was under the impression that it needed to be
set everywhere, and that the stuff that came with the machine had been
pre-compiled without -DVINUMDEBUG being set, so I likewise removed it
from the stuff I was building to coincide with that.  If I can figure out
where I removed that option, I can go back in and re-enable it, then
recompile, reboot, and reload.

>   DEBUG OPTIONS
>     The current version of vinum, both the kernel module and the user
program
>     vinum(8),  include significant debugging support.  It is not recommended
>     to remove this support at the moment, but if you do you must remove it
>     from both the kernel and the user components.

    This is the part that confused me.  I wasn't sure that it was
specified in both places, so I made sure to remove it from the kernel
config file and the appropriate Makefiles.

>                                                    To do this, edit the
files
>     /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile and /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/Makefile and
>     edit the CFLAGS variable to remove the -DVINUMDEBUG option.  If you have
>     configured vinum into the kernel, either specify the line
>
>           options         VINUMDEBUG
>
>     in the kernel configuration file or remove the -DVINUMDEBUG option from
>     /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile as described above.

    I had originally had this option specified in the kernel
configuration file, then got confused.  So, I removed it from the kernel
configuration file and the
/usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile as well.  Obviously, I need to go back in
and re-enable this option.

>You can install it on top of 3.1-STABLE.  The versions haven't
>diverged that much yet.

    Cool.  I'll get 4.0-CURRENT then and try it instead.

>The difference at the moment is simply that I'm being cautious and
>waiting for reports back before committing exactly the same changes to
>-STABLE.  If you're having trouble, though, it's better to take the
>newest stuff.
>
>Having said that, of course, your problem here is obvious.  On the
>other hand, I've recently fixed a number of obscure bugs in -CURRENT,
>and I'll be committing them to -STABLE RSN.

    I'll give -CURRENT a shot and let you know how things go.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
   Usenet is not the web.  Just because the web handles some things
 poorly is not a good reason to apply those same techniques to Usenet.