Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:10:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I am almost confident enough to try the install thing (properly this
> time!...I think I mucked it up first time?)
> Some queries... the answers on HELP on which are not clear enough to
> me.
> a)   If I find a conflict...what do I do..remove the conflicting
> driver/whatever?

The dangerous kind of conflict is a conflict between two drivers for
hardware that's actually in your system.  Keep in mind that you're
telling FreeBSD how the hardware is set up; you're not setting up
the hardware.  Do whatever you can to find out first what interrupts
the hardware uses and what addresses it uses.

> b) Is it best to remove the drivers etc which don't appear relevant?
> What if I just leave them?

I think you can just leave them.  FreeBSD will look for the hardware
and not find it.  That will be okay.  If you're not sure, leave it
in.

> c) Do I have to do the systems file thing...my guess is that if I
> wish to add modems and routing capabilities and dialout etc I might
> have to get all the system files too.

You don't need the source code to add modems, routing capabilities,
etc.  You need kernel source to build a new kernel.  You might want to
build a new kernel to add support for a sound card or to add kernel
ppp support.  You can add the kernel sources later.

> d) When I have to choose the slices etc...do I just let the defaults
> happen? Are they enough given I wish to make this box a router ?

The defaults will probably be pretty good.

	Annelise