Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2014 00:29:40 +0000
From:      David Joyce <davidj@softcom.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)

Hi Erich,=0A=
=0A=
I occasionally read this list and use FreeBSD once in a while.=0A=
=0A=
Unlike that other provider we didn't just block a couple IP addresses.=0A=
We identified all servers purchased using similar information and shut=0A=
them down once we were made aware of the issue.=0A=
=0A=
I did receive some spam messages after my post here, originating from=0A=
another hosting provider.=0A=
=0A=
Unfortunately I can't provide too much information, but when looking at=0A=
the servers I found no obvious botnet traffic. There was no evidence=0A=
that the server was compromised. It appears the person who ordered the=0A=
server installed a PHP based application that was creating MySQL=0A=
connections to an Amazon AWS server, likely to obtain lists of fresh=0A=
email accounts to spam.=0A=
=0A=
Again, if you notice any other of our servers involved in this, please=0A=
let me know by emailing abuse@myhosting.com so that I can do a more=0A=
detailed analysis and disable them as soon as possible.=0A=
=0A=
Best Regards,=0A=
David=0A=