Date:      Fri, 17 May 2013 04:55:02 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        matthias.andree@gmx.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: teTeX and TeXLive

----Security_Multipart(Fri_May_17_04_55_02_2013_665)--

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote
  in <51941F70.2060201@gmx.de>:

ma> I have been looking at the texlive-base and -texmf ports, prompted by a
ma> discussion on IRC involving "marino", Niclas Zeising and myself, and I
ma> must say that I am impressed - not to say scared - by the sheer size of
ma> the ports' distfiles (130 MB for base, 1.4 GB for -texmf), and have not
ma> yet taken the time to install and test the port.
ma>
ma> I suppose the -texmf port would be "all of texlive".
ma>
ma> Is there any optimization we can make to get the texlive material more
ma> manageable?  People have expressed concerns about daily download limits
ma> (although that situation does not affect me personally currently).
ma>
ma> Are you aware of a list/overview/... that would explain the difference
ma> between the -base and the -texmf ports?

 -base is binary part of the TeXLive, and -texmf includes data such as
 TeX macro packages, fonts, configuration files, and documentation.
 Both are needed to make TeX (yes, strictly speaking it is much more
 than pure TeX) work.

 The reason why -texmf is huge is fonts and docs.  Both are about 1GB
 respectively.  The other tex-* ports that I committed/will commit are
 ones split from -base and -texmf in per functionality basis.  I will
 continue to split down them until the granularity reaches where the
 other ports require.  It means -base and -texmf will be shrunk (and
 the number of */tex-* ports will increase).

 -full always installs everything but most of ports which need TeX do
 not require it in building stage or runtime and blindly specifying
 this as a dependency is a pain for users.  So, every ports which
 require TeX must specify the minimal set of USE_TEX knobs.  We should
 complete this stage to go further.  I expect the number of split TeX
 ports will be ~100 (FYI, the number of ports which directly depend on
 TeX is currently around 150).  Some minimal installation options will
 also be added.

 This is my mid-term goal in 1-2 months.  Although modularization is
 also planned, it will be happened once we confirm the new ports work
 fine in the current shape.  I agree that the size of the distfiles is
 another pain, but it is what TeXLive is, unfortunately.

-- Hiroki