Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:49:10 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross builds and upgrade path from 4.x are broken in usr.bin/file

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 05:37:51PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> I can't believe I hear that from you, Bruce.  :-)
> Generation at install time is a damn bad idea, please see below.
[...]
> 1.  This won't work for cross-platform installworld, since ./file
>     is targetted for a different platform.  (My version builds the
>     xfile build-tool for the build platform and compiles .mgc files
>     in ${.OBJDIR}.)

You are generalizing.  It breaks cross-platform installworld when done on
the build host.  It does not break cross-platform installworlds when done
on the target host.  We should decide if a cross-platform must be
installworld'able on the host, target, or both.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)