Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:38:20 -0400
From:      "John R. LoVerso" <john@loverso.southborough.ma.us>
To:        "Eric Parusel" <lists@globalrelay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP/fxp problem...

> I've got one SMP system, with two Intel NIC's, as shown at
> the bottom of this message in my dmesg.boot ....
> My SMP system gets a "fxp0: device timeout"or a "fxp1:
> device timeout" error about once every two days, and my

I was getting this same problem on a dual processer system built on an Intel
N440BX "Nightshade" motherboard.  I solved it by changing a BIOS setting that
limited the number of IRQ assignments from a "legacy" mode.  Once I did that,
the timeouts went away.  Boot messages now show:

fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x1060-0x107f mem 0xf8000000-0xf80fffff,0xf8104000-0xf8104fff irq 20 at device 15.0 on pci0

It's been working great (doing multiple buildworlds all the time) since
I changed this in December.  The system still runs 4.1.1, IIRK.

John