Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:13:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 exception.s genassym.c machdep.c mp_machdep.c mpapic.c swtch.s vm_machdep.c src/sys/i386/include cpufunc.h pcb.h src/sys/i386/isa apic_vector.s clock.c icu_vector.s intr_machdep.c intr_machdep.h npx.c src/sys/kern ...

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Warner Losh wrote:

> [[ moved to current ]]
>
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0202261326390.98715-100000@beppo> Matthew Jacob writes:
> : > I would also like to have core take a stand that having code in P4 isn NOT
> : > the same as publishing it. P4 is an aid to the developer to do PRIVATE
> : > work. As long as the work is in P4 it is up to the developer to
> : > keep it in sync with -current. From the project's perspective
> : > work in P4 doesn't exist.
> :
> :
> : FWIW, concur.
>
> How is it different than publishing patches on a web site?  There are
> a number of tools that one needs to have to get the patches, just like
> in P4.  The P4 repo is available from cvsup10, so you don't even need
> to install P4 to see the patches.

Um, what you get from cvsup10 does NOT show you the diffs from -current.
you have to hunt them down by diffing the tree against a checked out
-current tree. It also requires people to set upinfrastructure to track
someone-else's work. this is an unlikely scenareo in general.
posting a patch file somewhere is much more usable.

> Our CVS meisters have told us in the past that branches on the CVS
> tree are bad, and NetBSD's experience is that not more than one or two
> are sustainable in the long run.

UMM they are not supposed to be there for THAT long. just long enough for
a particular project.
I will be creating a KSE-III branch in the next day or so anyhow.
It's too difficult for pwopleto help me when it's all in P4.