Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:20:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        bsdc@xtremedev.com
Cc:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACLs on the boot partition?

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 bsdc@xtremedev.com wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> > > No, not using USF1. / was formatted UFS2.
> >
> > tunefs -a /your/filesystem
> >
> > I think thats the one.
> > Cheers.
>
> Tried that already on / in single user mode with it mounted readonly.
> tunefs said it changed the flag, but didn't really. I also tried adding
> acls to fstab for /, but no effect. Were you successful in doing this
> for / ?

tunefs changes the flag for the next mount, so doesn't take immediate
effect.  Once you've tunefs'd a read-only file system, you need to unmount
and remount it -- for the file system root, this generally means
rebooting.  Just to confirm: you're running with GENERIC, or with a kernel
that includes UFS_ACL, right?  (Normally the kernel will complain if you
try to mount a file system with ACL support when ACLs aren't enabled).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories