Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:11:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
Cc:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Foreign characters (Mainly Norsk) on a U.S. Keyboard...

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> > Yeah, I do get that, however, it would be more useful if I could just add
> > the Norwegian characters to a copy of the us.iso.kbd (perhaps call it
> > personal.kbd).  So to get a "a ring" I would do a 'ALT-!' and for a "o
> > slash", a 'ALT-@', and so on.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >

> Sure. Just go to /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/ , copy us.iso.kbd to
> personal.kbd (or whatever you want to call it), modify that file and
> use kbdcontrol or modify /etc/rc.conf to use it.

And how would I find the correct codes for the characters? (I don't have a
Norsk keyboard to refer to, and you can't really tell looking at the
norwegian.iso.kbd)

> In X-windows you might also wish to take a look at 'xmodmap' which can
> be used to modify your keyboard mappings in X.

So I would have to change it in both places, or would just changing the
.kbd file do it?

Thanks - Peter

---
Peter Losher   				      <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc.              PGP key available on request