Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 02:05:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        Andrzej Szydlo <andrzej@complex.complex.com.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up user PPP

> I have some problems setting up user ppp server on my system.
> I hope I'm not asking for too much, but could just someone
> send me examples of configuration files?

It's not too complicated... Just make sure that everything in the
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf file has a space before it, except the labels. If your
options don't have whitespace on the left, they will be ignored. :(

The essentials are explained in the Handbook, and in even more detail at
http://www.ssimicro.com/~jeremyc/ppp.html

In the ppp.conf file, you will NEED
 enable proxy
among other things.

In your kernel config, you will need to have
OPTIONS	GATEWAY   # I think that's the option... To forward IP packets.
You DO NOT need the ARP_PROXYALL kernel option. You will also need at
least one "tun" device per modem... Don't forget to MAKEDEV them.

Before you rush off to compile that kernel, you should replace your
/usr/src/sys/netinet/in_rmx.c file that comes with 2.1-RELEASE (I assume
you're using 2.1-Release) with the newer one from -stable, which is at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/usr/sys/netinet/in_rmx.c
Just replace your existing in_rmx.c file with the new one, and you'll
avoid the headaches of the proxy-arp bug.

I hope that helps.