Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:15:44 +0100
From:      Andrew White <andywhite@gmail.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Julian's netowrking challenge 2005

I got FreeBSD to load balance two ISPs in version 4 a while ago, using
ipfw FWD rule, it had the same challenges that you are facing so try
this out, the routing is done on probability to cause load balance,
but you could do it on source  ip

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ipfw/2003-August/000399.html

I did modify rulesets after that post as there was some unneeded
rules, but nothing major, the rules in the post work fine... I got a
better CPU and the cpu issue went away...

tks

Andrew

On 6/28/05, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
>=20
> So for reasons that i won't go into, I fin dmyself renumberring an entire=
 company.
> howeve I have a particular problem I can't figure out how to fix.
>=20
> I have a gateway/firewall machine running 4.x
>=20
> it has 3 interfaces
>=20
> fxp0 goes to the internal trusted network
> fxp1 goes to the internet via a T1 via a cisco box,
> but is shared with another section of the company.
> the compant web service is advertised as coming from an address
> that is on an address advertised as being on this T1. So are
> other services.
>=20
> fxp2 also goes to the intenet via a cisco box however nothing is using
> it at the moment.
>=20
> The one shared T1 is being flooded out by users behind this machine
> much to the annoyance of the users on the other part of the company.
> This is supposed to be their T1.
>=20
> For reasons that are beyond the scope of this problem, the advertised
> DNS addresses for teh services advertised, can not just be switched
> to be via the other t1.
>=20
> The network attached to fxp0 needs to be NAT'd to use the Internet
> as it is using illegal numbers.
>=20
> The challenge:
>=20
> figure out a way so that all teh users on the network behind fxp0
> hcan use the internet using the T1 attached to the cisco off fxp1
> while all the advertised services (about 8 of them, few enough to
> list by hand in rules etc.) which are also behind fxp0 but acccessed by N=
AT'd