Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 04:56:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Implementing a DEVFS daemon

> From: "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
>
> The timing issues seem to be ugly to me.  It would be nice if shutdown

Yes.  There could also be a potential security hole where people could
take advantage of the time lag between the device appearance and this
daemon changing its permissions.

[This is not a problem if the devices arrive with 'suitable'
permissions; ie, totally restricted. -EE]

> forced this daemon to roam over the /devfs tree.  It almost sounds
> like we need upcalls from the kernel to the daemon -- at which point
> I wonder why the daemon is not in the kernel.  I still have to read
> 99% of the kernel, so if this is wacky tell me and I'll shut up.

Another hairy issue is how to keep the "easily editable ASCII" file in
a consistent state.  Suppose the daemon and the editor (videvfs?) need
to lock the file before they make modifications.  Now I edit the
configuration file.  While I'm editing it, the daemon is waiting, and
when I finish, the daemon wakes up and tries to merge its changes.
What if there is a merge conflict?  What if I edited the file wrong
and there is a syntax error?  And if I hold the file too long for
editing, there could be security implications too (see above).

At which point I wonder why this is not done using pure filesystem
semantics (chmod, chown, etc.). :)

[chown/chmod is difficult to use to express policies, especially for
devices that are not yet present. -EE]

Satoshi