Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > the ability to run on old bootblocks is how shall I say...
> > "required".
>
> Well, you have and have always had just two options the minute we pull
> the elf kernel switch: You switch customers to the 3-stage boot by
> dropping a /boot.conf file into place which calls /boot/loader (which
> you also install along with the 3.0 upgrade) or you relabel them so
> they look just like freshly installed 3.0.x systems; it's your choice
> whether you want to go for minimal impact or minimal difference.

Trouble is, with old bootblocks, that "drop boot.conf" trick doesn't
work, it just hangs.  To get the elf kernel booted, you have to update
the bootblocks, *then* they can use both.  Julian's request is dead as
it stands, you can't do that.  To get the elf kernel, you need newer
bootblocks, which is why I suggested detecting the old ones, and maybe
refusing to install an elf kernel.

My own kernel, which I tested it on, didn't use klms or klds.  Linking
doesn't matter, it's loading that's affected.  Once the kernel gets into
place, that's when linking becomes an issue (if it is at all) right?

Not sure how to detect sufficiently new bootblocks ... it might not be
possible.

> - Jordan

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).