Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:19:35 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Problem with psm0

>I have two systems, both now running 3.4-RC (built from the most recent
>source I had via CTM a couple of hours ago).  I also have two very similar
>mice.  However:
[...]
>system1 is a Gigabyte 71X Athlon motherboard (AMD chipset)
>system2 is a PC-Chips socket-7 motherboard (SiS chipset)
>
>mouse1 is a MouseSystems M5 PS/2 optical mouse (model 403011-001)
>mouse2 is a MouseSystems type 2544 PS/2 optical mouse (model 404273-001)
>Both have been in use for some time on FreeBSD 2.2 systems (the main
>difference between mouse1 and mouse2 is that mouse1 cost about 4 times as
>much and has slightly better buttons!).

When you were running FreeBSD 2.2, were you using the above
motherboards?

>System1/Mouse1:
[...]
>psm0: current command byte:0047
>kbdc: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
>kbdc: RESET_AUX return code:00fa
>kbdc: RESET_AUX status:ffffffff
>kbdc: DIAGNOSE status:0055
>kbdc: TEST_KBD_PORT status:0000
>psm0: failed to reset the aux device.
>psm0 not found

Do you by any chance use any console switch?  We may have a timing
problem here.  Would you send us the full dmesg output?

In the meantime, try adding the following options in your kernel
configuration file.

options KBDIO_MAXWAIT	10

The default value is 5.  Increase the value if your mouse is not still
recognized.

>System1/Mouse2:
[...]
>psm0: model NetScroll Mouse, device ID 0-00, 4 buttons
>psm0: config:00000000, flags:00000000, packet size:6
>psm0: syncmask:c8, syncbits:08
>
>(note that this mouse has only 3 buttons, not 4!).

The psm driver is not necessarily able to detect the number of buttons
correctly.  But, it doesn't matter.  Even if it gets the number wrong,
it works without any problem.

>Mouse1/System2:
[...]
>psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0-00, 2 buttons
>psm0: config:00000000, flags:00000000, packet size:3
>psm0: syncmask:c0, syncbits:00
>
>(Again, this mouse has 3 buttons).

Ditto.

Kazu