Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <dpk@nwserv.com>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: excluding a file/dir from a tar file

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> I know the flag is --exclude, but where exactly do I put the flag in?
> Could someone post an example of a working version of this:
>
> tar cvzf --exclude /server --exclude /mail /server/master.tgz /

The GNU-style (--[foo]) flags will not work if you do not include a -
before the single-char flags. Also, as someone else mentioned, the
output file should be immediately after the '-f'. So for the above to work
you'd need:

tar -cvzf /server/master.tgz --exclude /server --exclude /mail /

IMO, the tar page should be updated to reflect this (I don't know how to
do that, myself)

--
David Kirchner, dpk@nwserv.com