Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:56:29 -0400
From:      conta@alpo.casc.com (Alex Conta)
To:        conta@alpo.casc.com, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI on Compaq ProLinea 5100

> Please enter "-v" at the "Boot: " prompt
> and send me all numbers from the lines
> starting with pcibus_setup or pcibus_check.
>
> If it reports success in the pcibus_check
> line, then I need any information about
> devices found on the PCI bus.

Stefan, and Justin,

Thanks much for the quick answers.

Sorry for not giving this info earlier.

With 'boot':

On the DEC PC there is a successful, and laborious PCI probe - there are
several lines displayed with info about the SCSI adapter, the SCSI CD-ROM,
and Hard Disk Drive found, as well as the other PCI cards.

On Compaq the PCI probe is apparently very short, and with no comments or
lines displayed on the screen.

With 'boot -v':

on Compaq after the lines:

   npx0 on motherboard
   npx0: INT 16 interface

the following 5 lines are displayed (only with 'boot -v'):

   pcibus_setup(1):  mode1res=0x80000000c (0x80000000), mode2res = 0x0c (0x0e)
   rootfs is 1000 kbyte compiled in MFS
   BIOS geometries:
	0:01953f20 0..405=406 cylinders, 0..63=64 heads, 1..32=32 sectors
	0 accounted for

followed by:

   /stand/sysinstall running as init

> Compaq caused lots of problems because of
> their knowingly ignoring the PCI specs.
> I once got a reply that it wouldn't matter,
> since the BIOS and their drivers worked
> around the problems introduced this way.
>
> But what they didn't care about was, that
> the required workaround might break support
> for other systems. They don't bother, since
> they know their drivers are only used with
> their machines. But we hardly want to have
> a special FreeBSD version just for Compaq
> machines ... :)

The PCI-SCSI adapter works with Windows 3.1 and the Adaptec Windows 3.1
drivers - "EASY-SCSI 4.0" - that I installed from an Adaptec distribution
diskette, which are perhaps tunned to the Compaq PCI behavior.

Some additional info:

on the DEC PC, the PCI-SCSI adapter has the following:

IRQ 		= 9
Port addr	= 7000-70ff		(length 0xff)
Mem Addr 	= c8000-c8fff		(length 0xfff)
		= f1ef0000 - f1ef0fff	(length 0xfff)

on Compaq, it has the following:

IRQ 		= 11
Port addr	= 1000-10ff		(length 0xff)
Mem Addr	= c8000-cffff		(length 0x7fff) - note length difference
		= 41000000 - 41000fff	(length 0xfff)

On Compaq the PCI Master is bu default Enabled (BIOS parameter). Changing it
didn't have any effect on the FreeBSD behavior.

On Compaq an additional PCI device is a Cirrus VGA compatible controller that
has:

mem addr:	 40000000-40ffffff
dependencies:	 3b0-3bb, 3c0-3df, a0000-bffff, c0000-c7fff

I hope this helps to diagnose the problem.

>  > 2.
>  >
>  > Any plans to add support for the AMD SCSI adapter that is embedded with
>  > Compaq DexPro 6200 XL?
>
> There was a message from Tekram recently, who
> The NCR 53c810 as well as the Adaptec 2940 series
> offers a small CPU as part of the host adapter.)

It seems that the AMD based SCSI adapter which comes integrated with
the DEXPRO 6200 XL, a high end Compaq desktop, helps Compaq to lower the costs.

 > Reagrds, STefan

Thanks,
Alex