Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2014 21:54:53 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH Protocol 2 between 9.x and 10.0 fails

Everyone:

I'm making my first FreeBSD 10.0 server, and have been trying to
use scp to copy files onto it from a machine running 9.1. However,
for some reason, transfers only work if I specify the "-1" option
on the command line. The same is true of interactive SSH sessions;
I can't log into either machine from the other with SSH Protocol 2.
Has anyone else noticed this incompatibility? Here's an excerpt
from the "verbose" output from a failed scp session in which I
attempted a file transfer from the 9.1 server to the 10.0 server:

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_6.4_hpn13v11 FreeBSD-20131111
debug1: match: OpenSSH_6.4_hpn13v11 FreeBSD-20131111 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p2 FreeBSD-20110503
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent

...and then the transaction freezes until it times out.

Sometimes, even specifying "-1" doesn't fully clear up the
problems; multi-file transfers via scp still stall.

The 9.x server has been fully updated to the latest patch version
using freebsd-update(8). Anyone else seeing this?

--Brett Glass