Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:58:17 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compaq Deskpro EN booting problem

I moved a disk system from a Compaq AP400 workstation to
a Deskpro EN - this consisted of a 4200 RAID controller and
a set of discs.

The ssystem had a small (39MB) diagnistics partition on it, a 1GB
Windows 200 partition to use the array diagnostics software, and the
rest (about 8GB) was FreeBSD 4.7-PRE

All worked fine.

So last night we decided to scrub the redundant diagnostics partion and
put 2000 back onto the whole of that first section of the disc.

removing the diagnostics partiona has had an interesting effect - the
machine will not boot!! I have re-written the FreeBSD boot manager onto
the disc, and it comes up and lists the partitions, but if I press
the key foor my FreeBSD partition I just get a steady 'BEEP'.

Its puzzling the hell out of me - what does the 'beep' mean from the
boot manager ? How can removing one partitoon affect a completely
differnt bit of the drive ?

I have a feeling this is a Compaqism - I have tried to put the partitions
back, and I can even get it to boot DOS off the first partition.

help!

-pcf.