Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:08:21 +0100
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        root@sense-gold-135.oz.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/mailto.html

In article <87698b$260t$1@atlantis.rz.tu-clausthal.de> you wrote:
>[...]
> On the dislike side is the dependence on needing an already digested
> makefile. Specifically a source with an autoconf configure often does
> not work to make a usable makefile. My recent experience with linux
> and solaris is different. They work. This gives rise to a gotcha
> when one wants to update. Buy a new CD is the answer.

One reason for this might be makefiles which use features specific
to GNU make, which the normal make doesn't understand. The docu-
mentation to GNU make says that such a file should be called
GNUmakefile to avoid confusion, but not everybody follows this.
(Linux uses GNU make as its default make. This would explain why
you don't see these problems there.)

I'd suggest you install GNU make. It's available as package and port
and installs as gmake.
(BTW, the ports system has hints on which source packages need gmake.
If it's not installed yet, it will be installed automatically in such
a case.)

Bye, Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/